Job Position: Receptionist/Administrative Assistant
July 22, 2019
Russell Byers Charter School is a public elementary school located in Center City, Philadelphia, with over 710 students from 43 neighborhoods. We offer 4K (Kindergarten for 4-year-olds) through 8th Grade, a student/teacher ratio of 20:1, and an innovative hands-on academic program, expeditionary learning.
Russell Byers’ values academic excellence, civic responsibility and community service. Russell Byers Charter School is a learning community, built on the structures and principles of its educational model: Expeditionary Learning. In the Russell Byers community, students learn by doing. Academic goals are linked to adventure, service work, teamwork, and character development. Education becomes a partnership between student and teacher, as supported by enlightened school leadership and committed parents.
Russell Byers Charter School provides students roots, a safe, stimulating environment with a rigorous academic education grounded in expeditionary learning. Our students take responsibility for their learning to become powerful communicators, creative problem solvers and compassionate, engaged citizens. Russell Byers students develop wings to succeed in selective schools and embrace a love for learning.
The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the daily operations of the school’s reception area presenting a high achievement culture to all students, visitors, and parents. The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant is ready to ask students to uphold school standards in between completing administrative tasks at the front desk. The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant will answer the phones, sort mail, file, fax, create and maintain databases, and any general administrative duties as needed. The Receptionist reports to the School Principal and CEO of the school.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer general inquiries, direct, and screen phone calls
- Greet parents and visitors to the school and direct them to the appropriate location
- Ensure the safety and security of the school: ensure the front door is locked and entry to the premises is controlled
- Create and maintain databases such as Excel, for student records, school equipment inventory etc.
- Place orders for departments and track the order process
- Manage ordering of office supplies for the front office
- Oversee mailing and shipping delivery systems
- Maintain conference room calendar and schedule meetings as needed
- Assistant with student attendance, absence, and tardy tracking
- Aide in student enrollment process for school in regards to paperwork completion and follow up phone calls
- Open and close of the school front reception facility
- Communicate to students with high expectations for academic achievement and appropriate behavior in and outside the classroom
- Maintain a positive and welcoming environment for parents, visitors, coworkers, and students
- Assist in the production of the RBCS e-bulletin and other school notices, posters, and school publications
- Board Liaison – responsible for preparing board documents in preparation of the monthly meetings, attending all meetings, preparing minutes from the monthly meetings and uploading all monthly documents
- Additional duties as assigned
- Commitment to RBSC mission and belief that all students can learn
- Ability to relate to a diverse population of students and parents a must
- Advanced proficiency in computer skills specifically, Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and ability to learn new programs/software quickly
- Proven experience multi-tasking, organizing and prioritizing work
- Ability to handle requests and inquiries and respond within a timely manner
- High attention to detail
- Demonstrated professionalism and responsibility, and a strong work ethic
- A positive, high-energy attitude, and a drive for personal excellence
- Flexible attitude, ability to work with urgency
- Strong problem solving and strategic thinking skills
- Willingness and desire to participate in unexpected projects
- Ability to work as a member of a team
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma required, credits or working towards Associates/Bachelors preferred
- Three to five years administrative assistant experience preferred
- Experience working in a school a plus
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as:
- Functioning in office space – reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, copying, typing, mailing, making phone calls
- Must be able to sit for up to two hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs on a frequent basis
Email resume and cover letter to Molly Farley, Human Resources Consultant, at Molly@MFConsultantsllc.com.