Chess teaches students to become critical thinkers and problem solvers. They learn to strategically analyze, solve multi-step problems, understand the relationship between consequences and rewards, and develop camaraderie. Chess whizzes earn a spot on the Russell Byers Knights Chess Team that competes in citywide, statewide and national tournaments. On March 6, 2013, the Knights placed 1st in the elementary division at the Philadelphia Scholastic Chess League City Championship! Then it was on to Carlisle, Pa. for the Keystone State Scholastic Championship where the students competed in the K-6 division against teams from all over Pennsylvania; returning home with a 4th place trophy!
Tutoring opportunities are available for volunteers who have participated in a tutoring training session and have obtained all necessary clearances. Tutors work with individual students or small groups of students who need extra support in literacy, numeracy and mathematics. The tutoring session includes skill development, review of topics that have already been covered in class and assistance with homework. Tutors work closely with classroom teachers to become familiar with the curriculum and the students with whom they will be working. Tutoring sessions usually last for one hour and are held most often after school, but sometimes occur before school and during the lunch/recess hour.
Carpe Diem: Before & After-School Care
Carpe Diem Before & After School Program is available each school day from 7-8 am and 3:30-6 pm throughout the school year, at an additional charge, for students in 4K through 8th grade. The program strives to provide a safe environment for students where they can learn, relax and have fun, and offers a combination of recreational and educational activities to balance the day. Indoor and outdoor play, organized enrichment activities, interest groups, and supervised homework periods are a few of our daily components. A nutritious snack is provided daily to students participating in the program.
- Before Care – Our before care is an early drop-off service that will allow children to engage in both indoor/outdoor play activities and multi-age appropriate games.
- After Care – During the first hour there will be an educational and literacy element where we will provide tutoring and/or homework assistance designed to help students meet state standards in one or more of the following core academic subjects: reading/language arts, mathematics, history and social studies, or science. A broad range of activities may be implemented based on local student needs and interests.
For more information, please contact our Director Carpe Diem Before & After School Care Programs, Shirley Dyson.
FeesAll fees are based on a weekly rate with the exception of a one-time $20.00 registration upon enrollment. Our drop-in rate is a daily rate for parents who may need before & aftercare for daily needs. We need 24-hour advance notice for all Per Diem service requests. All scheduled field trips will be paid by parents based on cost of trip.
- Registration: $20
- Before Care: $20 per week
- Drop-in Before Care: $10
- After Care: $75 per week
- Drop-in After Care: $20
- Drop-in After Care (early dismissal): $30
- Sibling Rate: $65 (aftercare only/one sibling only)
- Late Pick Up: $5 for the first minute; $1 every minute after the first minute