Transportation and Safety
It’s important to us that our students feel safe when they are at school and traveling to/from school. Below are the services we provide to ensure they do.
Yellow Bus Pick Up & Drop Off
The School District of Philadelphia has partnered us with First Student Bus Company to provide both pick up and drop off service for students in grades 1 to 6, who live more than 1.5 miles from school.
Students in grade 7 and 8 are eligible for a SEPTA Student Fare Card.
To request transportation or if you have recently moved, please contact our Director of Operations, Teron Ivery, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bus Safety Guidelines
For every rider’s safety, the driver’s attention must not be diverted by misbehavior on the bus. The following rules are enforced to ensure a safe riding environment.
Safety Rules for a Student Riding a Bus
- Get to the bus stop at least ten minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Wait until the bus stops, the red school bus lights flash, the door opens, and the driver says that it is okay before stepping onto the bus.
- Show respect for property around the bus stop. Avoid littering or walking on planted areas.
- Do not approach the bus while it is still moving. For safety reasons, parents are prohibited to enter the school bus, according to Pennsylvania’s unauthorized bus entry statute, 18 Pa. C.S. § 5571, and may be subject to a fine.
- Walk toward the bus in an orderly line.
- If you have to cross the street in front of the bus, walk on the sidewalk or along the side of the road to a point at least ten feet ahead of the bus before you cross. Be sure that the bus driver can see you, and you can see the bus driver.
- Use the handrails to avoid falls. When exiting the bus, be careful that clothing with drawstrings and book bags with straps are not caught in the handrails or doors.
- Never walk behind the bus.
- After you get off the bus, walk a safe distance of ten feet from the side of the bus.
If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver. Never try to retrieve the item without telling the bus driver, as she or he may not see you.
A safe, reliable, efficient and on-time student transportation system depends on a strong partnership between parents, guardians, school administration, and the Department of Transportation Services. Good student behavior while entering, riding, and leaving the bus contributes in many ways to safe transportation.
Check out the links below to learn more about the safety precautions we take on school grounds.